Sunday, May 06, 2007

Temple in Chandragiri fort


Temple in Chandragiri fort
Originally uploaded by srinidhilv.
Over the weekend (May 4-5) I rode down to Tirupathi with a few friends. Enroute since I had sometime I decided to check out Chandragiri fort, a venue which I had wanted to visit since several years. A beautiful hill-fort built at the base and along the face of the rugged cliffs, Chandragiri has several heritage monuments currently in the vicinity.
The Archaeological Survey of India is currently doing a great job restoring the monuments. I hope soon this site will also be granted a World Heritage Status, akin to the SriRangapatna and Pattadkal in Karnataka which were granted UNWHS status today.
This ancient temple is being restored. This is a great example of Vijayanagara style of architecture. Quaint but beautiful the stone temple is a delight to everyone who likes art and sculpture.

No comments: