Wednesday, December 05, 2007

Views of Austin and surroundings

I have covered more or less my experiences at Austin, the capital city of Texas in my previous post when I wrote about attending the 'Empowering Women Entrepreneurs' conference. Here are some pictures I took during my short stay at Austin.



The Capitol Building - house of legislature The Capitol building where the senators and governors of state of Texas do their business of legislation, audit, expenses, taxation etc. This is one huge building with a 60 ft 4 level basement. The interiors are exceptionally modern and expansive. The wooden door frames and window frames of the building have a striking Indian art influence. I wonder why. I mean the frames have a three level round fresco, much akin to the Kalasha which is installed atop most Hindu temples.


We took part in a tour (free) of the building and I made it a point to the guide about the door frames and wood work. Unfortunately he wasn't aware of the same and said he could give me the name of the architect who designed the building. But by the end of the tour I forgot to follow him and get the name so I have to do some more research on google and find out the origin of the design.


Later in the evening we visited the The Oasis restaurant to meet Catherine and her family. The restaurant designed to give it a wild west look has several interesting metal sculptures installed in its courtyard. The vast and beautiful Lake Travis on whose banks the restaurant has been built is actually a dam built across river Colorado. Here are some views of the sculptures and the Dam or the Lake Travis whatever you prefer to call it.


Bronze Buffalo aka the famous Texas Long HornWind mill recreated at the Oasis old park bench, notice the beautiful carvingsLake Travis Views
Lake Travis viewLake Travis another viewLake Travis another view Visiting the Texas Military Forces Museum


Tank on display


No comments: