Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Biker Memories

It has been 8 months since I sat astride a motorcycle and felt the raw power at the end of my palm. Being a biker-by-birth, to be without riding motorcycles for such a long time is something like not living. But then circumstances are such that I have not been able to ride a motorcycle. Do I miss riding my bike, weaving in and out of choc-a-bloc Bangalore traffic? Honking incessently? Riding out on the open but dangerous highways in India? You bet I do and now all that I have are memories of those days when I would take off without a thought or care out into the wilderness to explore the teeming countryside of India.

Now in America, I feel claustrophobic driving a car. Though the roads, speeds and relative comforts are much greater in this country, I miss India and sometimes I wonder if I will ever get back to my country? And after experiencing so much different scenario, like driving on the right side of the road I wonder if I will be able to drive on Indian roads again? Initially adapting to American roads and traffic rules was difficult and now I am comfortable in this scenario and I wonder if I will be able to fit into the chaos and disorder that prevails on Indian roads.

I don't know I will find out only if and when I return to my motherland. Till then all I can do is to remember and feel nostalgic.

No comments: