Thursday, January 14, 2010

Happy Makara Sankra & Pongal


Today is Makara Sankranti and Pongal Festivals, a festival that is associated with the movement from darkness to light. Today is the day when the sun begins its northward motion. When I was in India I didn't really bother to celebrate the festival to the fullest extant, but now being in the US there is little opportunity to participate. Moreover whatever one does the ambiance is never right here. A Hindu festival is best enjoyed in the land where it originated, i.e. Bharat/ India.

I can only make a resolution that next time I visit my home and if it is providentially during a festival I should participate complete in the celebrations. Here it is limited to customary temple visit, possibly eating out and maybe visiting some friends.

No comments: