Friday, October 19, 2007

Finally in USA

After a long and arduous journey on Cathay Pacific's air bus we landed in Los Angeles airport at 9.00 pm. The immigration officials were very courteous, helpful and friendly. Though I was one of the last visitors in the serpentine queue, the visa officer spoke to me patiently and joked about how every visitor from India is an expert in computers. On knowing that I am a travel writer he said "You need time to stay in America if you have to write about our country. I will give you six months visa so you can see the entire country. Enjoy your stay."

All the sordid stories I had heard about the visa process, getting immigration clearances etc were repeatedly proved false. American visa officials are sticky about rules, documents etc but I have found them to be very friendly and well mannered. This basic courtesy is absent in most government officials who interact with public back home in India.

Once out of the airport, the superwide roads, big cars etc flabbergasted me. This city is really big and has been planned well. Though the government can sit back and enjoy the setting, they are continuously working/ commissioning new works to improve road and other infrastructure. I noticed at least three places where one or two lanes had been closed and work going on in a hectic pace. This is what I admire about western societies and culture. It is high time our politicians learn about sharing wealth and making life easier for people and not themselves.

I am going to sign off now... will try to update the blog as frequently as possible. Meanwhile you guys enjoy yourselves wherever you are.

No comments: