Tuesday, December 25, 2007

A consumer Christmas

I am spending my first Christmas in a Christian nation but I don't see any signs of celebrations on this day. I remember the various Christmas celebrations I have seen in India, at homes, churches, public places, parishes etc. So colourful and so festive... here it is quite opposite. Christmas is a holiday and everything... everything.. including churches are closed down.

The last prayer was held yesterday at 6.00 pm and that is it... there is no concept of mid-night mass on Christmas eve, at least not in Protestant churches here. I was mentally comparing the same scenario with India, it would be a holiday of course, most offices closed and businesses in a laid back scenario, discount sales, festival offers etc would be there much akin to what all shops offer here. But the celerbatory vibrations, the gaity, social gatherings, christmas prayers, etc are virtually absent, at least to my eyes.

No comments: