Friday, October 31, 2008

Heritage Monuments biting dust in India

Though I live far away from India, I can't give up keeping in touch with what's happening in my mother country. And most of the time I get extremely frustrated and agitated when I read the news. Either it is terrorist attacks or it is stupid politicians or some such thing. But this newreport about illegal demolition of a 13th century monument in the national capital both surprised and anguished me.

According to the newsreport the monument, Lal Mahal or Kushaki Lal, located in Nizamuddin was built in 1245 AD during the reign of Sultan Nasiruddin Mahmud Shah, a slave dynasty ruler. The fact that the monument was declared a heritage structure by the government and civic agencies, didn't deter the anti-national and selfish builders, who ruthlessly demolished significant parts of the structure to make way for a commercial complex.

In my opinion there is no greater disgrace for a country than the destruction of its heritage monuments. The government is run by politicians who are concerned about filling up their Swiss Bank accounts with $$$s. I am sure Lord Macaulay is laughing his stomach down in his grave because his mission to shred the cultural and ethical fabric of Indian society has succeeded beyond expectation.

I wonder why even Muslims are keeping quiet. Couple of years ago, when someone in Denmark published a cartoon ridiculing their prophet, they took up arms and started burning down everything they see, across the country. Now when a monument built by one of their rulers is being destroyed, they are keeping quiet. Or perhaps they have been bought off??? or are they too busy praying five times a day and throwing stones at Hindu religious processions in other parts of India to bother about this? Whatever it is this demilition is a great national loss which can't be redeemed easily.

I sure hope that the people responsible for this dastardly act will be punished severely. I know that this is only a hope and has very little chance of coming true... but like it is said optimism is the best policy in times of crisis.

3 comments:

Soaking Up The World said...

I share your indignation about the lack of respect or preservation of heritage monuments. What Im hugely irritated about is also the plastic invasion of all the most beautiful places in India. The ubiquitous used Lays potato chip pack is what I consider the bane of the modern world, and also its prototypical characteristic. The Lays pack, in my opinion, stands for everything that's wrong with the world today - mass production, processed food, obesity, eating for pleasure rather than need, and a lack of respect for the environment. Anyway, the point I'm trying to make is that we simply don't seem to know how to treasure what has been handed down to us, but are bent upon ruining the world we live in. Call me a pessimist or an Apocalypse Now theorist, but I for one believe that strongly.

treasured_creatives said...

Agree with you 100%... but I am hopeful that something will turn around and our country will regain its glory... both naturally and economically... and of course militarily...

Sara said...

That makes me sad! I desperately want to go to India...