Saturday, January 05, 2008

Adding features to the blog

I have been looking through various websites and freeware providers to get new and innovative features for my blog. It is sometimes frustrating to go through various features and find that it doesn't work like you expect it to. But then what is life if everything were so easy? The same logic works in other aspects of the online computer thingy....

More than a decade ago when I first started learning computers on old 386 machines, these technology gadgets seemed as if they were capable of everything... I still remember those days (I don't know whether I should call them 'good ole days') when carrying a 5 and quarter inch floppy disc made us feel cool. Then came the CD era when a shiny gold CD was considered more valuable than the valuable metal itself. Then came the internet, like a bolt out of the blue and everyone was talking about free e-mails, Hotmail, Yahoo, Rocketmail, AltaVista and several names.

But as I learnt more and worked extensively on computers I slowly became aware of the inherent drawbacks and frustrations one has to face while trying to get tasks accomplished. Sudden system crashes, especially when you are working on the important project and not saved all the changes. Codes which seem perfectly fine when you debug but don't work when installed on the webpage. Websites which look different in different computers ... oh not to mention in different browsers too...

Now I have learnt to optimise and make peace. Just yesterday I had one of the most frustrating experiences trying to set up an RSS feed on my blog. Even now though the feed seems to be working with 11 subscribers, I don't know what the feed url of my blog is.... maybe I will figure out some day in the future. Let us hope so...

No comments: