Monday, January 14, 2008

Sunday at the Pongal Celebrations

Yesterday I was part of the Metroplex Tamil Sangam's (pronounced as 'Changam' - in a typically Tamil way). I would never attend such an event if I were in Bangalore... but then I am in US right now and like they say while in Rome be Roman I am acting out my part. The colourful function was organised in a typically Indian manner, cultural programmes, singing, dancing, yummy and lip smacking food (pongal, curd rice and vada).

Like most other such events this programme too started about 45 mins late. The Tamil Sangam (ooops.. Changam) function was a colourful and noisy affair. Anywhere we Indians go we are bound to make a racket and that is what was happening at the Plaza theater in downtown Garland. The Plaza was a movie hall promoted in the 1940s and was forced to closedown by the advent of theatre chains and multiplexes. Currently it has been converted into a auditorium for live concerts and in a display of generosity the heirs of original promoters donated the hall to the city council.

We were basically there to hold the fort for Sankara Eye Foundation an organisation which is working towards eliminating curable blindness (essentially cataract) in India by the year 2020. They have already promoted over 6 superspeciality FREE eye hospitals in Tamil Nadu (Madurai and Coimbatore), Andhra Pradesh (Guntur), Karnataka (Bangalore and Shimoga) and Gujarat (Anand) and are in the process of constructing many more.

The last programme on the agenda was a light music rendetion by Prabhu and party, for the first time in my life I actually sat through such a programme and enjoyed a little. It was the first time I had ever listened to any such live orchestra and I have no regrets. Prabhu and his associates did a good job on the music front, only pity was that all the songs were in Tamil and I couldn't understand one word of it, that was kinda boring but then it is ok... some outing better than staying at home.

If it were in India I would have been probably up some mountain or swimming in some lake enjoying nature. But in US where everything is organised and strictly enforced, one cant just jump into a river and swim or climb a mountain from whichever direction he pleases. You have to follow marked and often paved hiking trails and swim only in designated areas.... straight jacketed but then that is the way these people live.... and that is the way we live in our home country....

4 comments:

Chhaya said...

Many wishes on Pongal!!! i m a north indian and we celebrate it as "Makar sankranti". !!

Chhaya said...

uhh!! my apologies! seems we all are kinda color blind! tells me to explore more about my own country! hummmm!!!

hope i m forgiven for the slip-up :)

Shubh Sankranti it is then... my wishes

Anonymous said...

Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my site, it is about the CresceNet, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://www.provedorcrescenet.com . A hug.

Slogan Murugan said...

:) Happy Makara Sankranthi :)