Sunday, February 17, 2008

Boney-M: Desi Style

Boney M is a name which is quite popular among people who like 1970s genre of pop and disco music. I would say I grew up listening to ABBA and Boney M during my early childhood in my uncle's home.

Yesterday one of our friends gave me a CD containing hit songs rendered by Boney-M, one of the most successful pop and disco band of the 1970s. We were listening to the audio in her car stereo and hence I thought it was an audio CD. But, when I came home and poped the CD into the computer I was in for a surprise. Apart from the audio of about 12 Boney M hits, the CD also contained a short 5 minute video of a stage performance by Boney Menon and party rendering these very hits. While the audio has not been tampered with, the video looks refreshingly different. Take a look and I am quite sure you will agree with me.



Boney M was put together by West German record producer Frank Farian. The vivacious group of pop and disco musicians shot to fame during the late 1970s and continue to hold sway over pop music afficionados. Their highest fan following was in Africa, South East Asia, Iran and former Soviet Union (Russia).

But I remember my childhood as I would listen to "Daddy Cool", "Rasputin" and other Boney M songs and would feel thrilled. I still love Boney M but the desi twist to the original audio is simply too good.

No comments: