Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Iron horses on Plano Parkway

These metal sculptures depicting horses have intrigued me since the day I saw them. Installed at the entrance of a ranch, facing the Plano Parkway (Texas), these horses seem very much lifelike. I somehow can't believe that these are not alive. Each of them display a different posture. The one which appears grazing is too convincing. I guess one owes it to the artist(s) who created this beautiful metal animals.

The first time I passed by, I wanted to stop, take a closer look and shoot couple of pictures of the same, but lack of time, traffic and other reasons prevented me from doing so. Finally that opportuinty presented itself last weekend while we were driving home. Getting off the car I walked up to the statues and took a closer look. The mild sunlight, cloudy facade and slightly warm weather added to the effect. Perhaps the great weather helped me spend a little more time and shoot pictures. If it had been cold or not so bright I'd have probably given up the chance.

I always wonder about these almost real, lifelike images in a slightly philosophical way. What if they were really live, would they be happy being in the ranch? Would they be in the ranch at all? or would they be racing on the course or been show pieces of the mounted batallions of police or the army. Many a time an image is lot better than the real thing. Say for example places in National Geographic Movies appear much better than they actually are. Think about it!

No comments: