Sunday, March 22, 2009

I Ride to eradicate Multiple Sclerosis

Multiple Sclerosis (MS) aka disseminated sclerosis or encephalomyelitis disseminata is a progressive neurological disorder that affects people in many different ways. Patients afflicted with MS could be suffering paralysis one day, loss of vision the next or impaired memory the day after that. Living with MS means living with complete uncertainty.

Personally speaking I had not heard about MS until 2005. One day I received an e-mail from Aussie biker Ralph Dixon, who was setting out on a motorcycle journey from Sydney to London. The aim of the ride was to raise funds for and create awareness about MS. I came to know much later that Dixon himself was a MS sufferer and this motorcycle ride was indeed much more challenging than if a normal person were to do it. Dixon was indeed courageous to undertake a journey of such proportions. Back then I decided that when I get an opportunity I will do something for MS sufferers.

Couple of days ago I got this opportunity in the form of an adventurous activity - Bike MS: SAM'S CLUB Ride 2009 * May 2-3, 2009 * Frisco to Fort Worth. This is a two-day 160 mile bicycle ride which will see over 4,000 people riding across the DFW Metroplex, bearing the searing heat of Texas. All these people come together with one goal to help raise funds for research to find a cure for MS.

Every year the National MS Society, US organizes various outdoor activities to raise funds for research on finding a cure for MS. Long distance walking, running and bicycling are among the most popular ones. Bicycling being one of my favorite activities, I decided to sign up and be part of this mission to eradicate Multiple Sclerosis.

Apart from paying a nominal registration fee ($40) every participant has to pledge to raise a certain $ amount as donations for the National MS Society. I have registered and have set myself a modest goal of $300 and have started my fund-raising effort. I would be thankful if you all could help me achieve my fund-raising goal and at the same time help millions of MS sufferers get closer to a permanent cure.

1 comment:

Just Me said...

Hi!

I understand that you were part of Borderless bikers. I plan to ride from India to various parts of the world. Would appreciate if you could help me in that - in understanding visa / shipping / carnet requirements. Let me know if I can have your mail id for sending my queries.

Vikram Sharma